Monday, February 12, 2007

Rest and Time with the LORD

This morning was wonderful. I don't know why I can't seem to remember the wonderfulness of mornings like this and GET UP and do it again. I had some great time with the LORD this morning (I'm reading through Hebrews) and was reminded again how THE LORD gives REST! I read these verses this morning:
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness, where your fathers put me to the test and saw my works for forty years. Therefore I was provoked with that generation and said, 'They always go astray in their heart; they have not known my ways.' As I swore in my wrath,' They shall not enter my rest.'" (Hebrews 3:7-11)
I know that Jesus has said, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”(Mt. 11:27-30) and yet I continually look elsewhere to find rest for my weary soul. For example, when I am tired I sleep (not that that isn't sometimes needed) but often times I equate my weariness for sleepiness when in fact life is wearing on me and I need to find rest in Him! I need to return to the place of rest, the presence of the Most Holy and Awesome God.
"Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;our God is merciful. The Lord preserves the simple;when I was brought low, he saved me. Return, O my soul, to your rest;for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you." (Ps. 116:9-11)
I am feeling restored today, and am looking forward to seeing what the LORD has in His plans for me
.
REST

Often times I find myself in weariness of soul,
Lord, help me to remember that You are in control.
You use that time to draw me back to the place of quiet rest
I come away, my heart restored, my weary soul refreshed.
With You, my Lord, is peace and joy and strength for every day
Keep me abiding in Your presence as I journey on life's way.

2 comments:

Julie said...

So, Amy, did you wake early to spend that refreshing time with God again today?

weavermom said...

I seriously needed to be reminded of all of this today! Thank you!